These photographs show the former Pilkington Glass factory at Kirk Sandall which, during its heyday, was one of the town’s biggest employers.
The haunting collection of photographs show the former Pilkington Glass factory at Kirk Sandall which during its heyday was one of the town’s biggest employers.
Now the building which once resounded to the sound of glass making and industry are silent and abandoned. Graffiti has been daubed on walls and machines which once hummed and operated around the clock are now rusting and crumbling.
The factory closed in 2008 with the loss of more than 100 jobs. However, during its 80 years in business, the works employed hundreds more workers and Doncaster was known worldwide as a centre of glass making excellence.
The company was founded in 1826 as a partnership between members of the Pilkington and Greenall families and based in St Helens, Lancashire.
In 1919, Pilkington Glass bought land from local farmer George Milnthorpe and Doncaster Council to build its massive works and an entire village to house its employees.
During the 1960s and 1970s, Pilkington opened plants in several countries including Argentina, Australia, Canada and Sweden.
The firm was taken over by Japanese company NSG in 2006 and the Doncaster factory was closed in 2008